Wednesday, January 24, 2007

National Sudoku Championship 2007 Kolkata Round


TOI presents NSC 07
Originally uploaded by ranjansaras.


Wow! What an event! Awesome!

Unfortunately, though, I didn’t make the cut. It was pretty interesting, the Kolkata round of the National Sudoku Championship. The 1230 participants were divided into three groups of approximately 410 participants in each group. I was placed in Group A.

The first round comprised three puzzles. In this set, one had to first solve a diagonal sudoku and transfer four digits in the same position in the given classic sudoku. Upon solving the classic sudoku, one would have to transfer four digits in the same position in the given irregular sudoku and then solve the irregular sudoku to obtain four digits marked A, B, C and D. Interesting!

But there was a catch. All of it was to be done in just 55 minutes. Quite challenging.

I was through with the first two sudokus in the first 25 minutes; however, the Irregular Sudoku killed me. I was almost done, but time was up and I was out of the competition.

Some 50 contestants fought on the whole day and finally the top eleven were identified. They won a music system and a watch each and most importantly tickets to participate in the National Meet in Mumbai next month. I wish them all, all the very best.

Next time, I will fight again, and hope to do much better. Till then have a look at these images.

No comments: