Friday, November 17, 2006

Uploading problem

Uploading problem


As I was planning to turn this web log into a shutterblog, I started short listing the images that could be used. Lazy as I am, it was a painstaking process and I have finalized on a few. My laziness was also preventing me from scripting much about the pictures. Upon the advice of a professional photographer, I decided to post the pictures only – without the jibber jabber, which I am usually good at. Whereas you can call it my laziness (my wife does), my photographer friend excuses because each picture usually says it all.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

However, when I started uploading the pictures, it was taking a long time. I stopped using BSNL’s broadband connection in July last year subsequent to unexplained bills, and am back on a dial-up connection at home. Waiting for a long while was frustrating enough in itself and added to that was the problem that at the end of the entire exercise the pictures wouldn’t upload at Blogger. I tried Hello and Picasa to upload too, but without avail.

The essay was going nowhere and then I decided to check up with some other friends and found that they were facing similar problems.

Actually the problem lies in the file sizes of the images that are captured in digital cameras. All digital cameras have different modes of shooting like Auto, Portrait, Landscape, etc. Whereas one can change or adjust the settings of shooting, by default the Auto mode takes up approximately 1.6MB of space. However, that is at the Better setting or Fine setting, the terminology varying between different brands of cameras. If, however, one chooses Best or Superfine setting, the captured images would take up around 2.8MB of space. This translates to the fact that ten images would eat up approximately 30 MB of space.

sighs

The problem is partially solved by shooting in Normal setting but that would compromise on the quality of the images and no serious photographer would consider such a compromise worthwhile. These images take up around 50 KB each in this setting and can be easily shared over the internet, uploaded to different sites and blogs and sent through emails as attachments.

Interestingly enough, a photo blog becomes pretty interesting if one uses a mobile phone with a camera. Though, it cannot be called serious photography by any means – composition, being the only technique required, and that too rendered meaningless in the world of cropping. But the image sizes are within controllable limits and facilitates easier sharing.

Faced with the question of shooting in Superfine, Fine or Normal settings, I have decided to continue with my passion for photography clicking Superfine and Fine images, and at times going for Normal settings. So I doubt whether this blog can be converted to a photo blog anytime soon. But I would definitely write a lot about photography. I would welcome suggestions from the readers as to how else can this problem be solved.

No comments: